Nesting

When I was pregnant with Penny, Andrew and I were finishing school and he was looking for a job.  We had to move out of student housing before he found one so we moved in with my parents.  It was a long and stressful few weeks but Andrew found a great job. We signed a lease for an apartment in Salt Lake City a few days after my due date (which came and went with no Penny in sight).  When Penny was one week old we moved in.

34 weeks
This time life is a little less crazy.  I love knowing exactly where this little girl will be coming home to and I can prepare!  One Saturday, Andrew and I went through our whole house and got rid of bags and bags full of things we don't use or need.  I have been putting dozens of things on craigslist and have been using the money to fund crafting projects for Penny's little sister. We cleaned and organized the whole house and turned a corner of our bedroom into a little nursery nook. I got out Penny's tiny baby clothes and washed and organized them.  So far, I have resisted the urge to packing hospital bags, but I will probably cave by the end of the week.

For the first time in my life, I already have most of my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving!  Andrew and I already bought (and I am currently using) our gift to each other--a beautiful iMac.  Penny also got her big gift early, a doll, since I wanted to help teach her about babies and being gentle.  She has affectionately named her Mimi.  Don't be surprised if you come by our house in the next few days and see Christmas decorations up... Normally, I do not approve of anything Christmas before Thanksgiving, but this year I have gone a little crazy!  I will be full term the week before Christmas which I believe has fooled me into thinking I can make it come faster by decorating sooner!

Update: Since I started writing this post, I have started decorating for Christmas and made gingerbread houses with some of my friends.

Last night I stupidly told Andrew that this pregnancy has been much easier than the last. I had forgotten how the hard the last few weeks are. I slept uncomfortably and woke up feeling anxious. Anxious about everything that crossed my mind. The days go by slowly but the weeks seem to be slipping past me. Part of me is panicking and the other part is shaking with excitement. There is nothing I can do to stop it or speed it up.  I am grasping at any part I can control.

For now, my focus is on Penny. All too soon, she will have to share my attention with a little sister. Next month we are going to take mommy and me swim lessons one last time. When she is in bed, I break out all of my sewing and crocheting projects and picture how our life will change when our family grows.

Comments

Popular Posts